Saturday, January 3, 2015

Back to life, back to reality

When I was little, I dreaded the inevitable - taking down all of the Christmas decorations. To me it was taking down the magic of Christmas. All of the fun, all of the excitement, of all of the pretty and sparkly things around the house were put away in big brown boxes in our garage for another year. It also, of course, signified the end of Christmas break. Then came that dread of going back to school. I think we all can relate, right?

Now that I am older, it is completely different. We finished the fun task of taking the decorations down and getting back to normal while the little one slept. She was not happy, of course, with the absence of the Christmas tree in the morning, but her father and I could not be more excited that our living room looks normal again.

I love the holidays, and Christmas is and has always been my favorite holiday. It is even more so now that I have a little one in the house. However, the days off from daycare midweek do more than throw them off. Just this week she went to daycare on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday only to have Thursday off for New Years and go back Friday. Family time, which means lots of stimulation and lots of sweets, adds to the mix. My kid thrives on routine. She has since she was a baby. It is time to get back to the norm.

As I type this my child is screaming for Princess Sophia, socks off because she refused to wear them after drawing with markers all over her potty. Someone needs to get back to her routine and go back to school. And something needs to happen with all of these cookies and candies because if I get asked one more time for "just one piece of candy," I might lose it. Let's get back to life, back to reality.

1 comment:

  1. I fully understand. I have a "little one" whose routine has been interrupted by my holiday layoff. Which causes him to go from eating breakfast at 5 AM normally to anywhere between 7:30 and (his choice) three in the afternoon- but still expect dinner at 6 pm, and treats at 7:30. And I know your little one has a few more issues with routine and comfort zones than my four legged one. I suppose a wiser man than me might be able to formulate a compromise on the "unavoidable" non-routine days. But Necessity is the mother of invention- and if Scrappy gets one meal a day, don't bother me. You, however have your work cut out for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete